How old is Emma today?

Lilypie1st Birthday Ticker

4-5-08 Jay's Quilt


Jay's kindergarten class made a quilt for their end of the year project. A grandmother of a child in the class was in charge of the project and she sent home a letter to parents saying that our children were going to make a quilt. Parents could come into the classroom and help on certain days for an hour through out the month of March. None of the work on the quilt could happen outside of the room. Jay was so excited about this. I was able to go to his classroom 3 days to help him work on it. (It is hard to have time during the day from 10:30 to 11:30 on changing weekly days but I did the best I could to be there as much as we needed.) We worked on the quilt and Jay was so proud when I would walk into his room and his friends would say "Jay your mom is here."

I let him completely decide what he wanted to do and then was there to help him with things like ironing on the pictures/fabric and sewing the few buttons we couldn't glue or iron on. When I told him I was going the first day to help, he said "Mom don't forget to bring your sewing machine!" I was like WHAT....Jay we DON'T have a sewing machine! If we cannot draw it, iron it or glue it....we are in BIG trouble.

He picked the family picture he wanted---it was a picture our friends Ed and Amanda took at the Zoo in Guatemala on the boys first visit trip. He picked the themes for the other squares--the sports and hotwheels ones(I found iron ons). We looked through some of our Gautemalan pictures because he wanted to use one with valcanoes. We found one taken from the window of the Marriott by Pap Pap that he liked.
I am so proud of Jay. He worked very, very hard on his quilt and is so PROUD of it. This is the perfect snap shot of his Kindergarten year!

3 comments:

Olivia said...

Hi there!
I have been visiting your blog for awhile now but never left a comment. I love seeing the monthly updates. She is to to cute! Stop by my blog anytime!

Amanda said...

Jay should be so proud of his quilt!!! It is soooo cool! I know it took a lot of hard work and time. He was very creative and the finished product is amazing! Great job, Jay!

Love,
Amanda and Gabi

Shelia said...

That Jay is an artist. The quilt is great!!